Russell – Bay of Islands
The Bay of Islands has long attracted settlers and visitors alike. The clusters of islands, sparkling waters and unspoilt natural environment can be enjoyed year round. Russell is at the heart of the Bay of Islands and is within easy reach of all leisure, cultural and historical activities.
Bay of Islands Cottages
Bay of Islands Cottages is situated within the Russell area seven minutes by car from Russell Village. We are located on the waterfront of bushclad Te Wahapu peninsula. All cottages have close views of Orongo Bay with its famous oyster farms.
The closest airports are at Kerikeri and Whangarei and rental cars can be
arranged from these locations.
- From Auckland city it takes about 3.5 hours to reach us.
- From Auckland follow the northern motorway and State Highway 1(SH1) through Whangarei until the turnoff to Kawakawa.
- At this point follow SH11 and all signposts to Paihia, Opua and Russell.
- Be careful to follow all signs which lead to the car ferry at Opua as this is the most direct and easy way to get to Russell.
- The car ferry at Opua is a drive on shuttle service which runs from 7.40 am until 10 pm. The cost is $10 for a car and driver and $1 for additional passengers. Payment on board is NZ cash only (no eftpos or credit card).
- Once the 10 minute ferry ride is over follow the sealed road directly ahead for 2 kms.
- Then turn a sharp left into Te Wahapu Rd and after 1 km look for a red oval Bay of Islands Cottages sign at the top of Waiaruhe Way on the left. Follow the road down towards the water and look for further red signs directing you onto our property.